Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dad's Birthday!


So, I've never made a Birthday cake for my dad....I know, I know! For that matter, I've never made a birthday cake for anyone in my family since they are all 2000 mi. and I never see them and when I DO see them it's only for a minute or so. There's never been time to make a cake of all things. They've never really been around me as a baker.....I moved away from home over 20 years ago. Need I say more. It didn't even occur to me until this year, well, this month as we made our plans to head back to Arizona for his 79th birthday party and family reunion. See, he's got Alzheimer's disease and it's getting worse so now we're all trying much harder to cram in some meaningful time in with him before he doesn't really know who we are any longer. Of course, I realize we're doing it as much for ourselves as we are for him. Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter.....we're scattered all over the Pacific Northwest, Ca, Az., and New York and it's criminal that we (the kids) never get to see each other. Ah, life....sweet life. So anyway, this was a special birthday for him and I wanted to do a very special cake for him and bring a little sunshine into his confusing world.
I think it was a success....I baked it in NYC, overnighted it to Az, and decorated it just before the party. He loved it...everyone loved it and I felt so happy to have made him smile and begging for seconds. Even if he doesn't remember it for very long, I'll always remember the look on his face when he saw the cake. I love you dad....

No comments:

Post a Comment